Why should I delete my data from companies?
You should delete your data from company records to make sure that you're comfortable with how your data is being used.
Unfortunately, too many companies:
- Collect your data without full consent
- Share or sell your information with third parties
- Don’t monitor what these third parties do with it
It’s easy to think of personal data as abstract, but sharing it can have real life consequences.
Flight prices, mortgage or credit applications and even insurance decisions are often determined using bought personal data.
Personal data is any information that can directly or indirectly identify you as you. Think address, beliefs, and financial records.
What types of personal data do companies store or use?
There are many different types of personal data, but here are some that are commonly held:
- Name, address and contact details
- Bank and insurance details
- IP Address & Cookie identifiers
- Marital status and number of children
- Political opinions and affiliations
How do I tell companies to delete my personal data?
Send a request through Rightly.
- Search for any company above
- Enter your basic details so that the company can identify you
- Check your email and send your deletion request
Remember, a deletion request asks a company to delete everything they have about you, including your account details.
How long until a company responds to my request?
After the company has received your request, they have to reply in full within 30 days, or give a valid reason for asking for an extension. If this happens, our support team is here to help!
What if they refuse my request to delete my personal data?
Don't worry, they can't do that by law. It's your right to ask any company to delete your personal data, thanks to your ‘right to erasure’ under GDPR law. GDPR applies in the UK and EU.
We’re free because our mission is to make data fairer, for everyone.
We don't use consumer data for commercial purposes, which means we'll never, ever sell your data. It also means that there are no adverts or hidden costs.
Send your request in under two minutes
It's simple and completely free